Wednesday, March 31, 2010

"Neighbor"

"The teacher of religious law replied, “Well said, Teacher. You have spoken the truth by saying that there is only one God and no other. And I know it is important to love him with all my heart and all my understanding and all my strength, and to love my neighbor as myself. This is more important than to offer all of the burnt offerings and sacrifices required in the law.”
Mark 12: 32-33"

"Y el escriba Le dijo: "Muy bien, Maestro; con verdad has dicho que EL ES UNO, Y NO HAY OTRO ADEMAS DE EL; Y QUE AMARLE A EL CON TODO EL CORAZON Y CON TODO EL ENTENDIMIENTO Y CON TODAS LAS FUERZAS, Y AMAR AL PROJIMO COMO A UNO MISMO, es más que todos los holocaustos y los sacrificios."
Marcos 12:32-33

When you think of the word "neighbor" what is the first thing that pops into your head?

As a child growing up, I've always looked at this term literally. My neighbor is the person who lives next door to me. Or in my "neighborhood". Or Mister Rogers'. :)

In church growing up, I've always struggled with this term, because they were trying to teach me that "neighbor" meant something bigger. It meant all people. But the literalist in me was never at peace with this exhortation, although I wholeheartedly believed in its message. It leant to the belief and focus on loving the people around me, immediately, locally, but also over the world, because I knew God loved them even though they weren't my immediate "neighbor".

Then I stumbled upon the Spanish version of this verse amidst my studies here. Expecting to see the word "vecino" for "neighbor" (aka someone in your neighborhood), I found the word "projimo."

Projimo? What's that?

Prójimo: (noun, masc) fellow human being.

“It is important to love Him… and my fellow human being as myself.”

I don’t know if it speaks to you like it spoke to me. But as a literalist, this speaks volumes of the limitless demands our love. To love all fellow human beings with the energy, passion, and generosity that we love ourselves...





No comments: