Saturday, March 6, 2010

He gives, and takes away.

I took part in my first funeral here in Costa Rica. A very dear friend of the mission died last Sunday. His presence, love and friendship here have touched the lives of countless people. Unfortunately, I did not have the pleasure of meeting or knowing him, for he was hospitalized right as I got here a month ago. People have shared how instrumental he was in beginning the ministry with our indigenous friends in Chirripo whom I will visit next week. And though I did not know him in this life, it is always sad to lose a brother whom you know has loved and impacted so many others.

I couldn’t help but reflect on the familiar realization that our time here on earth is so limited. While I emphatically believe that we should live daily with the awareness of our finiteness (of the fact that our very lives are in the hands of God and could end in an instant), the truth is that most of us don’t live with this in mind.

To pause, and reflect, in the midst of our crazy, and loud lives at times, can be so difficult. Will I take some time to stop and reflect on my life today? Right now? To see what things are most important to me? Whether my life reflects that? Is it God? Is it myself? Am I living my life the way I’m “suppose to”? Because it’s safe? Secure? Comfortable? Am I open to taking risks? For the sake of the kingdom of God? To be stripped of all the control in my life and surrender it to the One who gives me life in the first place? Have I told someone, that need to know, that I loved them? That I appreciated them? Have I shown them? Am I living for tomorrow? And therefore missing the beauty of today? Of this moment, no matter what the circumstance? How about you…

I wish it didn’t take the death of another person to beckon us to consider our living on this side of eternity. However, I’m thankful that it does. And I dream of being a person who isn’t afraid to take risks in this short life she’s granted, that I may see my Jesus someday, tired, but full of joy that I have no regrets in this life, and that I truly, truly lived.

Gracias, Filemon, for sharing your joy and life here. And for touching hearts even after you’ve gone. Muchas gracias.

“Only in a life lived following Jesus can you feel more peace and confidence with Him, trudging through the fear, confusion, and inadequacy of self, than in defaulting into a lackadaisical comfort where you know His presence won’t linger and miracles fade.”

No comments: